Chapel of St Apolline
St Saviour·Attraction
Part of Deanery of Guernsey
Standout
634-year heritage (1392)
Story
Built in 1392 by Nicholas Henry of La Perelle manor as a chantry chapel dedicated to Saint Apolline, patron saint of dentists. First mentioned in a charter by Richard II on 20 July 1394. Fell into disuse during the Protestant Reformation and was conveyed to Thomas Effart in 1563. Used as a cattle barn until purchased by the States of Guernsey in 1873 for £120, becoming the island's first designated ancient historic monument. Restored 1972-1978 with underfloor heating, new bellcote, roof and lighting. Conservation Management Plan produced by Wessex Archaeology in 2003.
Chapel of St Apolline is a 14th-century chantry chapel in St Saviour, built in 1392 by Nicholas Henry of La Perelle manor and designated as Guernsey's first ancient historic monument. The tiny single-room chapel retains rare medieval wall paintings including a Last Supper on the south wall, and a stained glass window depicting Sainte Apolline. Administered by the Deanery of Guernsey, it is open to the public daily during daylight hours, with a weekly Eucharist on Thursdays. —
Specialises in2
Each capability links to every business in the Baliwick that shares it.
Quick facts
- Established
- 1392 · 634 years
- Heritage designation
- Protected Monument
People1
- Revd Mark Charmley — Rector of St Saviour's
From their website
Original phrasing from their website — lines covered by a capability above appear within its card.
- Weekly Common Worship Eucharist
- public access for prayer and contemplation
- historic monument visits
Visiting & access
- Wheelchair access
- Accessible - ramped entrance
- Public transport
- On bus route 61
Hours
Open every day during daylight hours; Common Worship Eucharist every Thursday at 10:00am
Contact
- Phone
- +44 1481 263045
- Website
- churchofengland.org.gg
- Address
- La Grande Rue, St Saviour, Guernsey GY8 0DS
History4
Key dates and recorded company events for Chapel of St Apolline.
- 1563—Conveyed to Thomas Effart · Fell into disuse during the Protestant Reformation.
- 1873—Purchased by the States of Guernsey · For £120, becoming the island's first designated ancient historic monument.
- 1972—Restoration work began · Restored with underfloor heating, new bellcote, roof and lighting.
- 2003—Conservation Management Plan produced by Wessex Archaeology
Location
Directions ↗Compiled from public sources — mistakes are possible. If something here looks wrong, let us know.
Also in Churches
See all 49 Churches in Guernsey →- Alderney Parish ChurchAlderney
Anglican place of worship — cruciform granite building with 12 bells
- Forest Parish ChurchForest
Anglican place of worship — regular services and community events
- Holy Trinity ChurchSt Peter Port
Evangelical Anglican church — Sunday services and community programmes
- Sark Methodist ChurchSark
Methodist church established 1797; worship services, rites of passage, and community hall hire.
- St Andrew's in The Grange, Church of Scotland GuernseySt Peter Port
Presbyterian church, established 1897 — Sunday worship, youth ministry, and rites of passage
- St Anne's ChurchAlderney
Anglican parish church — cruciform architecture, 12-bell peal