St Martin's Parish Church

St Martin

Standout

827-year heritage (1199)

Story

Nave and tower from 1225-1250, northern aisle added c.1325, porch added c.1520 with sundial dated 1751, pre-Reformation font (oldest in island), pulpit from 1657, organ installed 1848, three bells recast 1736 by Jean Baptiste Brocard, clock installed 1869

Originally granted as parish church in 1048 by William Duke of Normandy to Abbot of Marmoutier near Tours. Connected to Marmoutier Abbey until 1415 when Henry V confiscated revenues. Transferred from Diocese of Coutances to Diocese of Winchester in 1568. Featured on Guernsey Post Christmas stamp in 2000.

St Martin's Parish Church is a medieval Anglican church in St Martin, Guernsey, first referenced in 1048 and consecrated in 1199. Part of the Church of England (Diocese of Salisbury, Deanery of Guernsey), it offers Sunday worship, baptisms, weddings, funerals, and community programmes including Junior Church and Alpha. The building retains Norman and Gothic architecture dating from the 13th century, and the churchyard is home to La Gran'mère du Chimquière, a Neolithic menhir.

Specialises in4

Each capability links to every business in the Baliwick that shares it.

Established

1199 · 827 years

People4

  • Revd Daniel FootRector
  • Mrs Laura-Jane StockwellRector's Churchwarden
  • Mr Paul SteelePeople's Churchwarden
  • Rev Daniel FootRector

From their website

Original phrasing from their website — lines covered by a capability above appear within its card.

  • Sunday worship
  • Alpha course
  • Messy Church
  • Healing Services
  • Junior Church
  • Bubble Church

Visiting & access

Parking
Professor Shaw Community Centre car park, short walk from church

Hours

8am Holy Communion (BCP), 9:45am Children's Groups (at Community Centre), 10am Parish Communion (Family Communion 1st Sunday), 6:30pm Sung Evensong

Contact

Social
Address
La Bellieuse, St Martin, Guernsey GY4 6RR

History6

Key dates and recorded company events for St Martin's Parish Church.

  • 1568Transferred to Diocese of Winchester · From Diocese of Coutances.
  • 1657Pulpit installed
  • 1736Three bells recast by Jean Baptiste Brocard
  • 1848Organ installed
  • 1869Clock installed
  • 2000Featured on Guernsey Post Christmas stamp

Compiled from public sources — mistakes are possible. If something here looks wrong, let us know.